“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Ross
This list of things to to before I die was inspired by the awesome list of Amber Rae.
- Build a company that changes the world.
- Build an investment fund that invests in companies creating jobs in emerging markets.
- Be part of creating a world in which every human being has access to the basic human needs of food, water, shelter, basic medicine, and basic education.
- Be part of creating a carbon neutral world.
- Build a company from start-up that makes it into the Fortune 500.
- Get a graduate degree in business from HBS.
- Get a graduate degree in public policy from HKS.
- Write a book on how to change the world, live passionately, and build an awesome business that makes a difference.
- Build an investment portfolio of companies in the developing world that gets compounded above market returns while creating lots of jobs.
- Someday work in public service for the U.S. Government.
- Someday live on another continent.
- Create over 1 million jobs during my lifetime through the companies I lead and invest in.
- Spend 6 months traveling the world.
- Visit 100 countries and every continent by age 50 (inspired by http://chrisguillebeau.com/places-ive-been/), up to 23 so far.
- Dance in 100 countries and post a 5 minute compilation video of it (#thanksfortheinspiration Matt!).
- Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania and reach Uhuru Peak.
- Drive the length of New Zealand’s highway 6.
- Drive the length of the Carretera Austral in Chile.
- Go ATVing in the Gobi Desert.
- Go wind surfing and hang gliding in Rio de Janeiro.
- Do yoga in Bali.
- Inspire others to reach their full human potential
- Ride an Ostrich in South Africa.
- Speak in front of 10,000 people at once during a presentation (up to 1,500 so far!).
- Give a TED talk.
- Attend the World Economic Forum in Davos.
- Be a guest on The Daily Show.
- Meditate with Deepak Chopra.
- See a Cirque du Soleil show (can’t believe I haven’t done this yet!).
- Participate in a freestyle rap battle in NYC.
- Join a hip hop dance crew in NYC.
- Be a guest DJ at a night club.
- Do all the things on my NYC Bucket List (below)
- Perform improv on stage at SecondCity Chicago.
- Play trampoline dodge ball.
- Create and bury a time capsule for my kids to dig up 20 years later.
- Be a mentor at The Unreasonable Institute in Boulder, CO and be part of Unreasonable at Sea.
- Go to the Dialog Retreat.
- Talk philosophy with Eben Pagan and Nick Beim in NYC.
- Win a scavenger hunt in another country.
- Meet the love of my life.
- Get married to the love of my life and be a great partner.
- Be a great father.
- Watch every Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks movie ever made with my children.
- Join the UN Foundation Board of Directors.
- Go to Burning Man
Get a picture with Ban Ki Moon Build a company to $100 million in all-time sales Join the UN Foundation Global Entrepreneurs Council Publish a book on entrepreneurship Chair Nourish.org, a non-profit that works to reduce global poverty Invest in a company in East Africa Live with two Kenyan marathoners Speak in front of 1000 people Build a certified B Corp Build a company with an integrated corporate social responsibility (CSR) program Attend the Skoll World Forum on Social Entrepreneurship Graduate from the EO/MIT Entrepreneurial Masters Program Attend Summit Series Attend a StartingBloc Institute Attend Opportunity Collaboration Attend a Renaissance Weekend in Charleston and Aspen Jump out of an airplane to raise money for Tanzanian microfinance Hip hop dance with kids in Kibera, Nairobi, Kenya Hike with the Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda Ride a camel in Giza Hike through the Picos de Europa Win a scavenger hunt in Washington D.C. Go ziplining in Nicaragua and Whistler Visit India and China Mentor tech entrepreneurs in Egypt Give a TEDx talk
- Attend the Singularity University Executive Education Program (went April 11-15, 2012!)
A Major Life Goal
One of my major life goals is to see a world exist in our lifetime which there is no extreme poverty. In 1800, 99% of the world lived on under $2 per day in constant 2011 dollars. Today, 39% of the world lives on under $2 per day. We are making progress across every major human development KPI (like life expectancy, infant mortality, per capita income, and % under $2/day) and we have the opportunity to actually end extreme poverty in our lifetime such that every human being has access to opportunity and basic human needs. This is exciting to me!
In my lifetime, I hope to be a leader in this movement and work through business, entrepreneurship, investing, writing, and public service to make a difference. I see that our generation has the opportunity to advance human society to the point that every human being has sufficient access to wealth and opportunity to address their basic human needs.
Countries Visited So Far–The Path to 100 Countries By Age 50
- 1984: United States
- 1984: United Kingdom
- 1991: Germany
- 1991: France
- 1991: Italy
- 1991: Austria
- 1991: Netherlands
- 1994: Bahamas
- 1994: Costa Rica
- 1994: Jamaica
- 2000: Belize
- 2000: Spain
- 2000: Mexico
- 2008: China
- 2008: India
- 2008: United Arab Emirates
- 2008: Uganda
- 2008: Kenya
- 2009: Ethiopia
- 2010: Turkey
- 2010: Burundi
- 2011: Rwanda
- 2011: Egypt
NYC Things to Do Before I Die List
One city is so amazing it deserves its own list. Here’s my current New York City bucket list!
- Go on a biking tours of Manhattan and Brooklyn! - http://www.bikethebigapple.com/calendar.php
- Do a free tour of the NYC Federal Reserve - http://www.ny.frb.org/aboutthefed/ny_tours.html.
- Go on a walking tour of Wall Street - http://www.nycgo.com/venues/wall-street-walks
- See a taping of The Late Show, The Daily Show, and The Colbert Report
- Take a Helicopter Tour - http://www.libertyhelicopter.com/tours.php?tour=nyny
- See a free outdoor movie in the Summer - http://www.nycgo.com/articles/free-outdoor-movies-in-nyc
- Kayak on the Hudson - http://www.downtownboathouse.org/Pier40.html
- Go on a tour of the hidden tunnels of Brooklyn – Climb down a manhole and discover a world down-under on Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn - http://www.brooklynrail.net/bhra_events.html
- Go on a NYC Scavenger hunt - http://watsonadventures.com/schedule.html
- Go on “The Ride” tourbus show - http://www.citysightsny.com/tourpage.php?item=TRP
Visit the Central Park Zoo and make lots of animal noises. Take the Staten Island Ferry See Fuerza Bruta See the Broadway Musicals Wicked, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, and Chicago Visit the Statue of Liberty Go to the top of the Empire State Building Tour the UN Go to the Top of the Rock Observatory deck to look over Central Park Have drinks at the Salon De Ning rooftop at the Peninsula See New Year’s Eve in Times Square See live music at Rockwood Music Hall in LES Visit the Met Eat at Eataly Go on a Hudson River dinner cruise Citysights all around town double decker tour Visit the 230 Fifth and Salon de Ning Rooftop Bars See my brother perform in an improv show
And now for some cool inspiration by way of the Holstee company manifesto. Pretty cool right…